Linseed meal, micronized (ready cooked).
For healthy coat condition and shine, body condition and joint health.
Micronised Linseed is rich in omega 3 Fatty acids, high in protein, low starch, low carbohydrate and good source of fibre; especially gel forming soluble fibre.
Omega 3’s are part of the essential fatty acid group, which must be present in the horses diet because they cannot be manufactured within the horses body.
Research suggests omega 3 fatty acids balance immune function, protect joints and ligaments, support gastrointestinal function, respiratory and cardiovascular systems, reduce skin allergies, and decrease nervousness.
Horses are naturally adapted to a diet rich in omega-3 fatty acids compared to omega-6 fatty acids. Grazing is the best natural source of Omega 3 fats, yet many horses spend a very limited time on pasture and live on a diet made up of predominantly hay or haylage which is low in omega 3’s. This can result in the critical ratio of omega 6 to 3 being thrown out of balance. A diet too low in omega 3 and too high in omega 6 fats has been shown to be pro-inflammatory. Supplementing with Linseed to increase the levels of omega 3 can help bring the diet back into balance.
Why Micronised Linseed is best. Linseed, in its raw state, contains the enzyme Linase, which, in moist conditions, can trigger the release of hydrogen cyanide. Micronization enhances feed value and palatability and destroys Linase.
It is recommended because:
- It is known to support metabolism.
- It is good for respiratory and cardiovascular systems.
- It promotes mental well being and a calm temperament.
- It can be beneficial for horses which have problems with biting insects.
- It helps to encourage a healthy shiny coat.
- It supports flexible and healthy joints.
- It improves skin health.
- It is a good source of protein and healthy fat. Protein 23%, oil 35%.
- Linseed is low in starch and sugar.
- It supports a strong immunity.
- It is beneficial to all equines, including older horses, and those prone to laminitis.
- Its gel forming soluble fibre soothes the digestive tract and supports a healthy digestive system.
Feed 50 g – 100 g per day to ponies weighing around 300 Kg .
Feed 100 g – 200 g per day to horses weighing around 500 Kg.
As a guide a coffee mug contains approximately 100 – 120 g of micronised linseed.
(100 ml measure = approximately 45 g).
Pack size and availability: Progressive Earth Ltd Micronised Linseed equine feed supplement is available in clear sealed packs containing 3 Kg of product.
Multiple purchase options are available.